Thursday, April 04, 2013

A Wedding for Ourselves


There's an episode in season two of Glee where Coach Sylvester marries herself. While it was obviously meant as a commentary of Coach Sylvester's extreme narcissism, I think she may have been onto something. I think a lot of people would be happier having a wedding for ourselves.

Now, I'm not saying this to impugn the institution of marriage. In fact I'm not even really talking about just marriage, but really, weddings.

Whenever I see weddings like those featured on When Geeks Wed, or see a wedding flash mob, I think; "Too bad I;m already married . Or that I can't sell my husband on renewing our vows. Lavishly".
Then I realise the point is moot, because even if I could convince my husband we should renew our vows, he'd want a very traditional service, and not in the this would not include the traditional Klingon. 

As I thought about this today, and my brain led to all the women I follow on Pinterest who pin WEDDINGWEDDINGWEDDING and I think of the multiple people ( usually women) who spent all their childhoods planning their wedding and latched onto the first person willing to go along with marriage, often to have it fall apart, I think i see a solution.If the person we find doesn't share our vision for a wedding, or if we simply don't find Ms or Mr Right, we should gather our friends together and have our wedding for ourselves. No saddling ourselves with a supposedly lifelong commitment because we can't wait to put on that white dress. No acquiescing to someone else's desire not to dance down the church aisle. Think of the pressure it would take off couples!