Thursday, March 14, 2013

Oh, crap! A Humbling Discovery about Waste Reduction

Warning: this post may be a bit TMI.

AS most of you know, I try to produce as little waste as I can. We don't buy paper towels, the one box of tissues my husband buys every winter is a luxury, we use cloth bags....yada yada yada. The main disposable thing I haven;t given up is paper cupcake liners and parchment paper, which I do my level best to compost.

Oh, yeah, and toilet paper.

That's a hard one to get around. However, I discovered this week on Tuesday that we had two rolls of toilet paper left. Knowing that I wouldn't have time to but any myself this week ( yes, my week is THAT busy!) and what would happen if I asked my husband to buy TP on the way home (he'd somehow also walk out with a box of cookies, a loaf of bread, and possibly a beer) I decided to find a way to stretch them. We usually go through a roll a day, so I knew I'd have my work cut out for me.

So I looked to the stack of mismatched socks that have been in my laundry basket for months but that it seems wasteful to throw out.

Yeah, I know some of you are horrified (hence the TMI warning) but with over a decade of cloth diapering under my belt and almost twice as long wit the lady cloth, I had no qualms. (Yes, I washed them). I spent all day yesterday using those old socks and.... we went through maybe 1/4 of a roll of toilet paper. This tells me I'm obviously using more than the rest of the family combined ( which would probably not surprise my husband). It looks like I have an obvious area where I need to work to use less resources. And maybe hold on to those mismatched socks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home