Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dear Girl With a Pink Backpack (profanity,trigger warnings)

Dear Girl with a pink backpack.
You don't know me, and I don't know you, but for a few minutes today, our lives ran parallel.
I was walking home from the produce market with my 10 year old and two red onions. I heard you- or rather, the boy who I assume is your boyfriend-long before I saw you.
He was bare chested and waving is shirt at your face and shouting "You fucking bitch! Do you really want to make me this mad at you?"
I wondered if I would need to pass my phone to my kid and ask him to call 911 while I hauled the asshole off you, but luckily for us all, he rode his bike off down a side street and a minute later, a police officer pulled up to you.
I saw you shake your head at him and walk off.
The officer pulled up so us and asked us what we had seen, and I told him. I saw him pull his car up, get out, and come talk to you. As my son and I walked by, I heard him telling you, "I just want to make sure you're safe."
Honey, I do to.  want to know you're safe, even though I don't know you. I want you to know that you, that NO ONE, deserves to be talked at that way, and I honestly suspect what the people out on 19th street saw today was just the tip of the ice berg. I hope you will leave him. I hope you will know you can. I hope, pray, that if you need help to do that, you'll seek that help.
You looked like you're on the cusp of womanhood. You may even be a legal adult, though it can be hard for me to judge those kind of things anymore. I will tell you this, though. The boy yelling those obscenities at you? he's no man, and will probably never be one.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Valerie Constantino said...

Uggg! That gives me chills. Too many times a girl and even women, smart women, put up with that horrible behavior and more. What that "man" did was verbal abuse. It's just as horrible as physical abuse except that the unseen scars from verbal abuse can remain longer than physical abuse. It has been my experience (a much too long experience) that this behavior will not change unless he wants it too. And too often, the "man" doesn't even recognize it as abuse. Prayers for the girl with he pink backpack and all women dealing with abusive men.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Valerie Constantino said...

Uggg! That gives me chills. Too many times a girl and even women, smart women, put up with that horrible behavior and more. What that "man" did was verbal abuse. It's just as horrible as physical abuse except that the unseen scars from verbal abuse can remain longer than physical abuse. It has been my experience (a much too long experience) that this behavior will not change unless he wants it too. And too often, the "man" doesn't even recognize it as abuse. Prayers for the girl with he pink backpack and all women dealing with abusive men.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Rebecca K. said...

will be praying for the girl with the pink backpack tonight...

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home