Thursday, May 05, 2011

Love , indeed, wins

So I have just finished chapter 7 of "Love Wins" I love what Bell has to say about heaven. It ties in very neatly with what I have felt since college. I remember telling a more "charismatic" Christian class mate that I wasn't a good evangelist because I just can't say *I* have the authority to define another's path. (And I know it may sound ironic for me to say that seeing as I work in children's ministry). I feel like I've been in a spiritual closet all my adult life and Rob Bell has given me permission to open the door.




I've found the book to be so incredible the whole way through, nodding my head over and over and saying to myself, "I have thought this for so long!" "I feel vindicated!" "Yes, thank you for articulating what I haven't been able to!"
So many accusations have been leveled at Rob Bell since even before the book came out- from so- called Biblical "literalists" that Bell is either a universalist or even a heretic, and from both them and from non- religious people that this is just an example for "cafeteria style" religion. I doubt the people who have said these things have actually read Bell's book the whole way through.From my reading of the book, nothing could be further than the truth. Bell is going to the root of the Gospel... the amazing, radical love of God through Jesus for every single person, whether those are the people we like, or think deserve the grace of God. God's love. For every one. No exceptions.

3 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I hear he's a heretic because of the font he uses in the book.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

http://sillypoorgospel.blogspot.com/2011/03/wow-rob-bell-actually-is-heretic.html

You'll like this blog.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

LOL! True, his design elements are..non standard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home