Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bored Games

I have a confession to make.
While I'm sure most people would consider me a gamer, that's not entirely true. It would be more accurate to say I'm gamer friendly.
Just please, please don't ask me to play.
Doesn't seem to matter what it is. Monopoly, D&D, poker....I'd prefer not to play.
This is part and parcel of me not being a playful person at all. Taking the kids to the park? A book is coming along too.
I realise this makes a lesser parent, partner and human being. It may also beg the question of which is worse...turning down my family when they want me to game with them, or play resentfully and out of a sense of guilt? I do play the occasional game of Magic ( usually, it is mercifully short) and Star Trek Scene-it, but that's about it.
There was a time a few years ago, when Brian had taken the car to the mechanic and we had to wait for the call for me to drive him down to pick up the car. He decided we were going to play Monopoly. All of us, as a family, and we were damn well going to enjoy it. He quickly caught on to the fact that I never asked for my $200 when I passed go- my long time strategy for keeping games shorter. Unfortunately for me, this meant that the kids now knew about the $200. After three hours, Matthew decided sitting in the corner for the duration of the game (Those were the only options Brian was giving the kids. We would have quality family game time or else, dammit!) was preferable to being in it. The rest of us kept staring at the phone, willing it to ring. Finally, after 5 1/2 hours, the mechanic called. I was never so happy to hear the phone ring and let me tell you, Brian never called a mandatory game of Monopoly again.

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I am your husband in that scenario. Except I also take a book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home