Friday, April 29, 2011

The best medicine

Disclaimer- in my following post, I will be talking about people with physical discomforts, which they may be treating with medication. I am not qualified to speak on matters such as diabetes, cancer, MS, or any other chronic illness.

I'm taking a break from sharing my weight with you this week, in part for reasons any woman would understand. But I have been using that same reason as an excuse to eat sub optimally, and feel like crap for it, and that's what I want to talk about. I've been mostly paleo for about a month now, but cheated over Easter. My best friend brought over matzoh brittle. On Easter itself, my husband made pizza, because our nieces were visiting. And they brought pita chips. I ate all those things on Sunday. On Monday, I woke up with the runs. I want to note I *chose* to put all the foods in my mouth and do NOT blame the people who brought them around. No one can make you eat something.
Then, major PMS. I bought a pint of coconut milk ice cream and ate most of it. Yeast infection. And gassiness and bloating. Lots of bloating.
So here is what I know-
I have breathing if I consume dairy or peanuts.
Dairy and wheat give me the trots.
Too much sugar gives me yeast.
Logically, I must avoid these things as as much as possible, NOT eat them anyway then take albuterol, epinephrine, lactaid, Gas-x, Imodium and monistat to make up for it. I DO avoid the dairy and peanuts and I DO use an inhaler if I accidentally consume them, but for the other things, if I eat something I know I shouldn't I suffer the consequences, then think twice before eating it again.
I know, how un-American of me.
Here's the thing- for years before finally eliminating wheat, I told myself I did just fine on it. Then I give it up for a month, then I eat some, and I discover- no, I wasn't. I think many of us in first world countries are in that boat- we have NO IDEA what is affecting our bodies because we are used to being miserable, and/or used to popping a pill to counter act the things we shouldn't be eating. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to clue in. Even with people with no intolerance to real food- we ate so much artificial food products we've desensitised ourselves.
I would love to convince every one I know to take one month and eat ONLY real food- no dyes, no trans fats, no high fructose corn syrup. And I wish that an order of magnitude more for everyone popping antacids or anti-emetics on a regular basis, or for parents of a kid on ADHD meds. I know it's easier not to. Sometimes, some people find it easier to be miserable that make changes. But the benefits are worth it.

3 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Lindab58 said...

Iam so with ya ! I do the same thing. But I am having h.hernia surgery in 3 weeks and talk about a restrictive diet. I can compare two findings. I went off white ,sugar , flour , wheat ,corn as I was working with a nurtitionist Before the candida test results came back It was to get the digestive issue addressed. Well with no overgrowth of yeast in my system I added the foods not so good for me. ON the yeast diet the no no foods were a non issue and new I felt I had peace I had not had with food before my blood sugar was consistanly level,But was still not feeling well with the digestion and reflux. So I know that it is my choice as to how to choose to eat....I think I used eating wrong so that i either feel hunger or bloated as a distaction lifes issues.
Iam getting alot of insight into do I want life more complicated by not eating correctly and having the bad effects on my body physically, No punn intended but I have enough on my plate as it is and why wouldnt I want to be healthy and feeling good, It is time that I did !
Take care !

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Yes...you deserve to feel fabulous!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

An inhaler isn't enough if you are having respiratory reactions. You really need to see an allergist. The hallmark of that sort of reaction is that one time it is no big deal and without warning, another time it is deadly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home