Thursday, July 05, 2012

A few quick, not too spoilery impressions of The Amazing Spiderman

Today is my youngest son's 10th birthday, and I took him to the early bird showing of The Amazing Spiderman.  Here are a few impressions I had about the movie, without spoiling too much. (For those as familiar with Spiderman as my son and I are, the origin aspects would be more spoilery in what's excluded than in what's included)

-Peter Parker's hair...what's up like that? He looks like he's planning to audition for Twilight. The hair very much got in the way of my ability to take him seriously, as did his black hipster skinny jeans.

-I am nut buying Emma Stone as a high schooler. Not.at.all.

-If you have ever experienced bullying (as I have) there are several scenes that will make you want to stand up and cheer.

-I love how they emphasized the geek aspect of Peter Parker. It's an integral part of who he is, and the geeks all say, "Huzzah!"

-If you're arachnophobic, you'll want to close your eyes twice; once after the Marvel Studios montage, and again after Peter enters the restricted access area.

-Martin Sheen and Sally Field were BRILLIANT as Uncle Ben and Aunt May. However, Uncle Ben never uttered his iconic line, which is like having a Star Wars movie where no one ways "May the Force be with You".
- One of the funniest Stan Lee cameos in a few movies.

All in all, I think this movie is better enjoyed by those who have not read ASM books extensively, and just want a superhero movie. Long time Spidey fans will find it hard to resist the urge to pick it apart.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home