Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Make a joyful noise

For all of her faults, my mother tended to think I was a pretty awesome person and supported me. There is one striking exception I remember.
I was a little kid, about elementary school age. We were at church and singing the hymn- it must have been one of the less boring ones, as I was actually bothering to sing. My mother leaned over after the song and whispered, " Do like I do, and mouth the words. That way you can keep up appearances without subjecting people to your voice".
It was years until I sang at church again; not until I was an older teen attending an AME church. It took until then for me to realise that God had given me the voice I had, and wanted to hear it.
When I moved here to the Pacific Northwest, I began attending the church I have been at for 19 years. WE have a contemporary service with a gospel band, and this is the service that speaks to me. I enjoy the praise music. I REALLY enjoy it. I sway long and sing loudly in my terrible voice. A few friends tease me gently for the way I "get my groove on", but that doesn't bother me.  My dancy boy has danced to the praise songs since he could walk. I remember dearly a lady coming up to me after a service and telling me how much Turbo reminds her of David, dancing and singing praises to God.
There is a mother who brings her daughter to church...an adult child with severe delays, and no speech that I can tell. In many services she has vocalised at odd times. Last Sunday, Turbo and I sat behind them and the mother and daughter were getting into the music, with great joy. The young woman was swaying, laughing, clapping with her mom, and making a joyful noise. I believe her sing was the most beautiful thing to God's ears from our church that morning.

2 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Rebecca K. said...

That's COOL! (the end bit) and i'm so sorry your mom didn't support you in singing... singing is about praising God and God gave you your voice- He sure doesn't think its bad! :(

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Totally, Rebecca!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home