Friday, May 04, 2012

Why I will never cosplay Slave Leia

This is something I've been thinking about for some months. As a relatively fit female who is also a cosplayer, it's nearly impossible for me to get through life without someone, from time to time, usually male and not my husband, to suggest I cosplay Slave Leia. This is often accompanied by Beavis and Butthead style snickering.

It is never, ever going to happen, and here's why.

That's a heck of a lot of skin Yes, I have a Star Trek: Mirror Universe costume. Yes, I am having a (movie) Dejah Thoris costume made for me for this August's Geek Girl Con. They still have at least 3 times as much fabric as a Slave Leia costume. I'm pretty fit, but  this is not a costume for a woman who has popped out a kid or few, unless she's also had plastic surgery.

I live in the Pacific Northwest.  In other words, even if I wanted to, there would be about three days a year I could wear it.

Half naked slave girl?  I'm not a total prude, and it's true that I would hate to put all this effort into being fit and not never show off at all. However, this feminist is not going to play into that particular fantasy. If I'm going to be Princess Leia, I'm going to wear practical clothes and carry a blaster.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

(:

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger yh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home