Thursday, September 22, 2011

Zombies!

If you know anything about me, you know that two important parts of my identity are my Lutheranism and my love of Star Trek.
Also, I think zombies are pretty cool.
You can imagine I was pretty pleased when I got both Night of the Living Trekkies and The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten for my birthday. Talk about imagining yourself in the zombie apacolypse.

Night of the Living Trekkies is a blood soaked romp through the Botany Bay hotel, host to GulfCon. When the dead start rising, hotel security guard Jim Pike and a band of roving nerdy survivors must rely on lessons learnt from Star Trek- and a replica weapon or two-to survive. How much did I like this book? I've decided to go as a zombie Trekkie to the upcoming GeekGirlCon . All in all, it was the faster read and more enjoyable of the two. As a parent, I'd rate this PG-13, which in my case means I'd let my 12 and 14 year old read it.

Zombies of Lake Woebegotten takes place in a parody of that fictional town of  average but special people, where everyone one is Lutheran or Catholic, the men are beautiful and the women are strong. I strongly identify with the get it done aspect (of course. It's been said of me that I "Put the work in Protestant work ethic"), but also with the Lutheran pastor who finds the starker, black and white, violent world of the post zombie apocalypse. I'd say this book leans more to the R rated, and would not let my kids read it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice.......

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Kevin David Anderson said...

Hey, send me some pics of your costume if you can. I'd love to post them on the Night of the Living Trekkies Facebook page.

Live long and prosper
Kevin David Anderson

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

I will, Kevin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home