Monday, September 26, 2011

Don't die that way

Over the past 4 years I have lost about 60 pounds. I have cured myself of arthritis, asthma, and IBS. In the process I have cut way back on portions, eliminated or almost eliminated dairy, most grains, most nuts, legumes, and all processed  foods.
As anyone who has made major lifestyle changes for the better knows, it's hard when your loved ones keep doing the same old same old with the same old results. Not too long ago, my husband likened me to a religious fanatic.
I was recently able to explain myself to him. My mother dies at the age of 52 from "complications of heart disease and diabetes"- my family's warm and fuzzy way of glossing over the fact that she told my grandmother she wanted to die, stopped taking her insulin, and ate an entire box of peppermint patties.
Her body was found 3 days later.
(And when anyone, even someone as distressingly sane as myself realises that her mother committed death by chocolate, 10 minutes of hysterical laughter WILL ensue, and not the good kind of hysterical).
I think my husband understands better now why seeing him eat a meal that includes bread AND potatoes AND
beer AND dessert it makes me frantic. Yes, we all have to die someday, but some ways are worse and a diabetes related death is a terrible way to go, for the person dying and their family. Don't do it to yourself and your loved ones.

A dear friend is watching her mom struggle with lung cancer. She is begging everyone she knows who smokes to please, please quit. Lung cancer is a terrible way to go, for the person dying and those who love that person. Would people ever start smoking if they knew the potential to bring those they love such pain? Never smoking, or quitting if you do, may be the kindest thing one can ever do for themselves and their loved ones.
Please, for those who love you if not yourself, take care of yourself and keep life affirming habits.

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Miriam Borsella said...

We will pray for her.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Thanks. She has passed on :(

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Laptop Stands said...

Ergonomic Products is very necessary to computer user.

http://www.ergohongkong.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home