Thursday, January 20, 2011

This is the story of a hat.


DSCN4232
Originally uploaded by gojirama aka romanylass
A few years ago, when we went to visit family and friends in Fresno, my friend Jenn passed on the book "One Skein" by Leigh Radford. I love the book and it's patterns and it has become my "go-to" book when I need to knit a quick present for someone.

Fast forward to this fall. My friend Carolyn handed down some knitting supplies that had belonged to her mom because, in her words, I was the only person she knew who finished her knitting projects.

Then, my childhood friend Roy and his wife had a baby. Which meant- time to make a quick gift! No time to go to the yarn store! I pulled out the book from Jenn, a skein of the yarn from Carolyn's mom, and hey presto, a hat for a friend's baby.

I love knitting for others, not just because it's an enjoyable way to produce a gift for someone, but because it's a form of Making. If you've read Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker series, you''ll understand the reference. If not, let me summarise very quickly and inexactly- whenever we make something with our hands,we push back the darkness/chaos that tears down. That's part of the gift.

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Sgrayhek - Detroit SmugMug said...

Thats Cool - I love knitting, and I think people keep them as "keepsakes" instead of tossing or passing them off in the short run.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

I hope they do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home