Monday, May 17, 2010

How NOT to say no to your preteen daughter

A few weeks ago in the car, on the way home from Knit Night, Olivia asked me; "After the show, can I cut my hair really short and dye it bright pink?". This is a point where many parents would have just said no. I did not, for two reasons:
1) It's just hair. Unlike, say, my husband, I don't really care what they do with it if it's clean and combed.
2) Since my kids have inherited my personality, I know that saying know is the surest way to get my kids to want to do something more is to tell them no.

So instead I say, "A haircut costs about $20, and a strip and dye kit costs about $15. How are you going to pay for that?"

After a moment's silence she asks me , "If I grow my hair until Halloween, can I dye it black?".

That I can afford.

4 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Friendly Neighborhood Librarian said...

You're so much smarter than I was with kids that age!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Thanks! At least in that.Not everything for sure.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger KrissleB. said...

Ha ha! I love it! Can I borrow your brain for a few to upload it with mine? I promise to give it back!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

I think my brain is strained enough as it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home