Friday, May 21, 2010

"How Not to Look Old" by Charla Rupp

I got this out of the library at the recommendation of a friend, and spent most of my sick day yesterday thumbing through it ( while, you New Who fans may find amusing, watching an episode with Lady Cassandra in it). While I am glad I checked this out of the library I would not buy it. I am absolutely sure those people with a decent ( above working poor) income would have no problem following Rupps "low maintenance" guidelines. Even I can manage most of them. But while Rupp talks about wanting to democratize anti aging, it just doesn't take into account that some of us CAN'T visit a colourist even once a year, can't afford to have a regular hairstylist ( I finished the chapter on bangs almost ready to cut myself some...but the last time I scraped together enough money for a haircut ( about a year ago) and took in a picture of Eve Miles to try to get just the look I wanted, it was an Epic Fail. I can't afford Fail. I can't even afford Win most of the time. It also assumes, again wrongly in the case of people like me, that you can afford all first owner clothes.
It's not all bad. For most hair and skin products she gives at least a few that are in just about any one's range. I already use Garnier Nutrisse and it seems to stand up well to the triple figure products.
However, I did walk away with a few priorities to work on as I scrape together the money here and there.
1) Ditch the dark lip colours, as they are aging. Personally I use only Burt's ( or other naturals)on my lips ( as opposed to her recces) and luckily I even have a coupon for that.
2) I really, really need a couple pieces of Spanx. As if I needed a book to tell me that!
3) I should try, occasionally, to wear something other than sneakers. (Although I nerdily submit the Chucks don't count as "gym shoes". Now I just need to score a pair, hopefully in red). And I don't mean to wear work boot instead.
4) I need to stop lining my eyes like a chav.

I do plan to break the "go lighter, and use natural colours" rule when it comes to hair.

3 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Too late for me - I am old and fat and too busy to care an excessive amount.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Or even an appropriate amount.


I am shooting for caring slightly, but sometimes even that is too exhausting....

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Oh, hush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home