Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Snowpocalypse reading

I never seem to have enough time to read, but with us being mid-snowpocalypse, I'm letting my kids roam the snowy neighbourhood whilst I catch up on reading.

I love reading about human evolution, and have read two good books on the subject lately. In The Artificial Ape , Timothy Taylor looks at the ways technology have influenced human evolution. I first became interested when I read a review mentioning that he posits the baby sling as an important impetus in our evolution, and Taylor does not disappoint in that area. I'm currently reading The Origin of our Species by Chris Stringer. This book is scholarly but accessible, and for a book about evolution by a British author, refreshingly free of religion-bashing.

However, with a house full of noisy kids, it can be hard to concentrate on scholarly works so I've been interspersing a fair number of graphic novels. I recently finished DC's Blackest Night series, which is probably the best comic series I have read in...ever. Whilst focusing on the Lantern Corps, it also gives great insight into the psychology of various Justice League characters in the face of resurrected loved ones. I've also read several of Marvel's  Ender's Game imprint  ; (Battle School  and War of Gifts ) . I believe any  Orson Scott Card fan would find them enjoyable.
I've also recently read Stephen King's newest,     Like most of King's work, I couldn't put it down.It's well researched, and I think may appeal to history buffs who are not fans of King's work. Interesting aside- I was interested to learn in the afterword that novelist  Joe Hill    is King's son. While not surprised, I can see why Hill chose to use a different last name until he had established himself.

What's next on my reading list? I have a few collections with stories by Charlaine Harris on hold at the library; in addition to the books I got for Christmas, there are a few books I got for kids that I want to read. Then, and only then, I will let myself put some more SCIENCE! on hold. My reading list for the next month or so looks like this:
Whedonistas
Chicks Dig Timelords
Serenity, Better Days, Volume 2
Sirens to Gotham city (series)
War of the Green Lanterns
African Exodus
African Genesis
The Dawn Warriors
In Search of the Neanderthals
Neanderthal Burials
The Biology of Morals Systems
Homo Britannicus

4 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Friendly Neighborhood Librarian said...

Snowpocalypse! Snowmageddon! both variations on the same thing.
I'm so glad you're taking the time to read through it.
I've been off since last Friday what with holidays and schedules and all and I wouldn't mind having another snow-day off tomorrow. I'm not sure what my chances are on that one.
Enjoy!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

It sounds like you'll get that snow day tomorrow!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

What is this snow you speak of?

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

LSM, we have about 8 inches :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home