Saturday, March 14, 2009

Today's money saving hints- You don't need cable

Yes, you read that right.
If money is tight, just cancel your cable.
Ah, but how will I entertain myself, you ask?
I could be a good person and say, You will read, you will play board games with your family, take long walks with the dog and plant a garden.
But the truth is, if you're like me, you will make stabs at those things because they are " the right thing to do" while thinking wistfully of the tube.
That's where your local library system comes in.
Pretty much any movie or show you want to watch will eventually hit your local library system.
Yes, you may have to wait, but you have to save money now so you are willing to do it.
And while you are unplugging, think about your internet service. I use nocharge.com. Now, if I could afford it, I would have high speed internet, believe me. But I don't so I go with the slow but free stuff.
Be sure to also look at whether your family would save money by cancelling it's land line and getting a family cellular deal.
Happy saving !!!

3 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Olson Clan said...

I couldn't agree more about the cable!! That is one of the best things we did, not just for the savings but for our family also. I do go to my mom's house once a week for Biggest Loser though. Your post did help me think about our internet and about how much we rent movies.... Could shave off a bit more (actually a lot more) in those areas. Thanks and keep it up!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

I will! Glad to help any little bit!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Yeah - we have never had cable except when we lived in an apartment that had it for free. People act like it's like not having underwear or something....

There are actually simple plans locally that we could probably easily afford, but I really think we watch too much TV with no cable. If we had it, I'd be so addicted to the sci-fi channel, they'd have to come take the kids away or something....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home