Friday, June 06, 2014

Braiding and hand holding

When you take the parenting path I did, there's a lot of physical contact. For the first year of my kids' lives, my body was their main source of nutrition,I wore my babies, and they all slept in the family bed for 2-3 years.

And then they get older and that fades, reduced to a hug now and then if you're lucky. I can see my youngest leaving that phase.

But I still have a small thing with my daughter, my middle child. My child who breastfed and coslept the longest. She still wants me to braid her hair.
She's 15, and she's had two trims in her life (her choice). She has waist length hair that tends to wave. As often as not, she'll come to me in the evening after her shower, when my husband and I are sitting watching something probably produced by BBC, or maybe Syfy, while I knit. She brings her hair brush and ties. I put down my knitting, detangle her hair, and braid two braids. I take my time. I don't know how long she'll ask.


This week, my two younger kids had their standardized testing. It's held at a church about a mile from our house,so we walk. As we were walking home, she walked ahead, holding hands with her 11 year old brother. This also is passing,way too fast.

2 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Data Pepple said...

This is very nice :)

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Beautiful, fleeting moments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home