Friday, April 04, 2014

Fighting rape culture and the however of having a teenage daughter

I feel like being a feminist and fighting rape culture when you’re the parent of a teenage girl is full of howevers. I can teach my sons not to rape, but I have limited ability to teach other people’s sons not to rape (yet another reason to work in youth ministry). So I have to teach my daughter to avoid rape. I have to teach her self defense skills, to not walk alone after dark, to not go off alone with a boy.I have to teach her not to wear provocative clothing. I will have to teach her to keep her keys in her hand, to not let her drink out of her eyesight, to be careful of how much she drinks when she’s not in a crowd. I am a feminist. I will fight against rape culture every day of my life. But I will never bet my daughter’s safety on others doing the same.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Yeah - I am writing an essay on this (I just cannot seem to finish it). I don't agree about the clothing but the rest, yeah. You don't have much of a choice but to arm your daughter against rape culture. It totally sucks.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's horrible that it's in our culture that you have to teach your daughter how to not be raped rather than expect that she won't be raped.

my blog is actually about myself being about a domestic abuse and sexual assault victim if you're interested in sharing it with her.

http://speaktruthsurvivor.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home