Sunday, February 17, 2013

Three Lenten Giving Challenges

Earlier in the week, I wrote on giving and not giving things up for Lent.  Friday, I was able to take part in a Huffington Post Religion tweet-along regarding this practice. Today, I'd like to share three challenges for the coming weeks for those who have given something up for Lent. While I will be including Bible verses for each of these challenges, anyone can join in.

Giving up on those clothes you never wear Lent, or spring cleaning, or any number of events can inspire you to look through your closet with a discerning, honest eye and choose to share some of that excess with someone in true need. Be kind, too. Don't just get rid of stuff in poor shape, and make any simple repairs before donating. (I sewed up a hole in a hoodie before donating; rally sewed it, not outsourced to my daughter!) Especially look through your coat closet.

John answered, "The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same." Luke 3:11; NIV


If you gave up sweets, meat, or any other food, spend the money you are saving to give to your local food bank. 
 Isaiah 58:7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter--when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

If you gave up soda, alcohol, or another drink, donate the money you're saving to provide clean drinking water to those who have none.

Matthew 25:35 for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home