Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Homeschooling in the news!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1059369&page=1

This in particular resonated with me:

"Julieanne Hensley, of Cincinnati, says she decided to home-school her children precisely because of the kind of socialization they would get in school.
Hensley went to Catholic school and said her studious, bookworm personality made her "bully bait."
"It's like 'Lord of the Flies,'" Hensley said of the social life at traditional schools. "The idea that kids have to deal with bullies is absurd. Adults don't have to in their lives."
Tamara Knowles agreed, saying that, in many cases, public schooling can tear down a child's self-esteem. "It happened to me," she said. "Other kids will taunt you, tease you. That socialization is not good — it's group think. If you're different, and I hope my kids are, you're going to get a lot of that."

See, that is kind of my answer to the whole "socialization" thing. I was one of the kids who were beat up on it school- why in the world would I think my kids were missing out?

2 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I definitely see that point. The Lone Star Girl is very different and she gets a lot of flack for it from Barbie and company.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger jen said...

I am struggling with this exact same thing right now. I am not certain that sending the sunchild off to school was the brightest thing we have ever done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home