Tuesday, January 13, 2015

In support of giving a ...care

It's a current trend to not give a ...care. Care is not the word people use, but I work in children and youth ministry, so I watch my language. Not giving a ...care is seen as a good thing, a thing we should admire. I know my visceral, negative reaction has something to do with my image of the person who doesn't give a care as a rude, sweatpants wearing slacker. I've tried reading essays on the subject-I really have- but they lose me with their language usage.

I did get through enough of one essay to hear that , at least in the words of one writer, it's not about indifference, but about not letting the little things get to you.
It still seems a bit dispassionate and unenthusiastic to me.

For me, I'll risk caring too much.



I'm sure in the eyes of some, I care too much, about too many things, and about things not worth caring about. But that's OK. I wouldn't trade it, because I have an an energy and enthusiasm that comes from giving cares. (Or I may just be implacable). I'll keep caring. 

4 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger brittanicals said...

And I am glad to know you, and glad that you care. Thank you.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Feralhousewife said...

Not caring about small things is a sanity saver for me.

I often ask/go for things no one else will because I don't care about being told no.

I don't care at all if someone else doesn't like the way I live my life. This leaves my energy and emotional resources for things I am passionate about. In actuality it means I have more passions than many other people because I let small things slide.

Ex. My kids are wild and crazy. I am good with the absurd amount of foolishness in my house because I don't care about noise levels and having a spotless home I have more time and enrgy to devote to the parenting choices I DO care about

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I do think a lot about finding balance in life and also parenthood is about caring about the important things and not so much about the rest, but I think there are ever so Many important things that need ever so Much more care than they get. I love the quote.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Melissa, I do see how not letting other's opinions of your life choices fash you can be sanity and life saving. But I also think that like it's cousin, "being your authentic self", the doctrine of IDGAF can be used to justify behaving badly. I think it's better to care too much than too little.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home