Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Why I won't share your political action, or give you money

It might surprise some people to know that I take a lot of online actions, on a daily basis, on a variety of topics that matter to me. It might surprise you because with rare exception I don't email you about the action, or share it to my facebook wall, despite the fact that the group initiating the action so desperately wants me too.
I'm not going to share it, because I figure that if you care about this topic too, you've already taken this action or a similar one. If you feel differently from me, you probably don't WANT to see my "TAKE ACTION post. In fact, if too many of them showed up in your feed, you might get fed up and hide me, and then how would you know what I'm making for dinner?

As for donations? I've pretty much taken to sticking with cash donations. This pretty much means the church offering plate, and happily I go to a church where I trust how they spend my money, and can direct money to various efforts, like world hunger, without sharing all my information with someone. Because I DON'T want to be bugged for years to make another donation to you. I don't want a full e-mail box, and I certainly don't want paper mail asking for money. If a group sends me so much paper mail that I feel the donation I made, or could afford, is spent begging people for no money- they are off my list. This goes double for "environmental" groups, because-seriously, using paper to as for my money so you can save trees?

So yes, I care about many things. I'll assume you do, and that you're already doing something about it, and don't need me to tell you to.

1 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Friendly Neighborhood Librarian said...

Jenna, we have so much in common! I don't share email addresses with lists or post what I've signed either.
I will donate money online but I also resent the paper mailings! My least favorite are the ones that send me a penny or nickel or dime and then try to guilt me into sending it back. Nope, it's mine now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home