Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Lost in Space- cool but sexist

I never watched LIS as a child, and recently decided to up my own geek cred, as well as the kids, by rectifying that. Luckily I can do this for free thanks to the public library.
IN the beginning of the episode "Mr Nobody", Will is helping his dad and Major West blow things up. Penny asks to help and is told it's too dangerous, even though she is obviously several years OLDER than Will. When The Boy asked why, I told him ot was because of the sexist era in which the script was written. I have watched 7 episodes so far and in all the gender roles are STRICTLY followed. I know it was a front runner in it's time, but it makes me want to scream.

1 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Danger, Will Robinson!! Sorry - couldn't resist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home