Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Where have all my values gone?

Long ago, when my eldest was a baby, I had these values. No toy weapons, ever. My kids would never be exposed to violent media. No licensed toys, and certainly no plastic, crappy, made in China toys. My kids would have wooden and cloth toys ( preferably from reclaimed products) that stimulated their imginations in a calm, peaceful way. NOTHING electronic and noisy.

Now, 8 years later, I am ashamed to admit the presents Turbo got for his birthday. A toy lightsaber, a Darth Vadar sprinkler, a bubble blaster, and an electronic Revenge of the Sith book. Oh, and a very cool book of illustrated King Arthur stories. The only educational toys he got were bought by other people.

But he's one happy little Jedi.

2 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Jenn L in Chicago said...

I think every soon-to-be-mom makes plans like that while getting ready for their first child. I know that I was determned that they wouldn't watch any television before age 5 at the earliest, that we'd studiously boycott Barbie and Cabbage Patches and so on, that we'd go to museums and zoos and such on at least a weekly basis, etc. But when she was born, I realized there was no way I could be a stay at home mom to try and enforce ANY of my plans. And once Nickelodeon made its way in, there was no getting it back out.... but at least I've managed to get the kids to weed out 4 bags of toys that they don't play with anymore and 3 boxes of older books they don't read! The local moms on Freecycle love me!
(GoodyScrivener)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger gojirama said...

Hi Goody :) You know, I planned to even get rid of the TV, but that didn't go over with the hubby. My daughter has a Barbie too, which I swore I would never do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home